Sunday 6 December 2009

Lace and all things girlie.

I've been having a look at Cal Lane's work which i think goes quite well with my work that I'm doing just now with my project.
I've been looking at the Victorian Era, and English Romanticism and have been doing a lot of the doilies work...shudder. But more really at lace and old patterns and the "textiles" of then.
Cal Lane uses "manly objects" and cuts out patterns of lace in to them, so to say shortly!
"I like to work as a visual devil’s advocate, using contradiction as a vehicle for finding my way to an empathetic image, an image of opposition that creates a balance - as well as a clash - by comparing and contrasting ideas and materials.This manifested in a series of “Industrial Doilies”, pulling together industrial and domestic life as well as relationships of strong and delicate, masculine and feminine, practical and frivolity, ornament and function. There is also a secondary relationship being explored here, of lace used in religious ceremonies as in weddings, christenings and funerals"


A few of my favourite pieces include her shovels and also her "dirt" work.









Absolutely stunning.

Fix up. Look sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment